[libdispatch-dev] libdispatch on VS 2008 and VS 2010 64bit

Mark Heily mark at heily.com
Thu May 26 22:14:26 PDT 2011

On 05/26/2011 04:02 PM, Marius Zwicker wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just wanted to inform you that as of today the trunk of the xdispatch
> project is supporting building with Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio
> 2010 64bit as well. Although VS 2008 is of limited use as we cannot
> provide blocks/closures/lambdas on this platform.
>
> With this milestone I consider libdispatch (and xdispatch/QtDispatch of
> course) production ready on Linux 32bit/64bit, Windows 32bit/64bit
> (using VS2008 or VS2010) and on Mac OS 64bit.
>
> As always I welcome any comments.

Hi Marius,

Congratulations on the successful port of libdispatch to new environments. I
just have a few comments:

  1. You may want to embed libBlocksRuntime within xdispatch, so that clang
can enable the -fblocks language extension on Linux. Here is a place you can
download the source tarball:

   http://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/libblocksruntime

  2. It would help to document on your website the versions of the
supporting libraries (libdispatch, libkqueue, libpthread_workqueue, and
libBlocksRuntime) so that packagers will know what versions work best with
your library. On Linux-based platforms, people prefer to make a separate
package per library, instead of combining multiple libraries together within
a single "super-library".

  3. If you have some ideas for a C++ interface to libdispatch, and you have
found them to work well in libxdispatch, please create a patch and submit it
to the libdispatch mailing list. This will greatly increase the chance of
your ideas being merged upstream, though it is no guarantee of acceptance.

Regards,

  - Mark