[libdispatch-dev] lib dispatch worker threads may loop depending on compiler optimization

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Sep 13 01:45:52 PDT 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 11:06 PM, Joakim Johansson wrote:

> I definitely agree that blocks are very nice (as is clang, which I hope that we will be able to use pending ability to build our C++ code, which was still lacking last time we tested).

Just to chime in with Jean-Daniel - what svn tag of clang did you last test against, if I might ask?  LLVM/clang itself (which conains a truly enormous amount of C++ code) passed the self-hosting milestone quite some time back and has been "maturing rapidly" towards "full C++ support" (whatever the heck that may mean at any time).  It might not be a bad idea to re-test against trunk, if that's possible, since it would at least let you know whether gcc was really a short-term or a medium-term problem.  Specifically if it's truly a short-term problem then:

> a) A short term workaround in GCD for the broken GCC intrinsics

Would probably not be worth even crufting up the code for, whereas:

> b) Pushing for fixing those broken intrinsics in GCC (it seems like a fairly dangerous bug for all code using the intrinsics)

Seems a good idea regardless and, even if the FSF doesn't take the patch(s) back, they can be used to create a gcc-kludge train off of whatever gcc $version you're following with the happy knowledge that it's only short term anyway because clang and its devilishly tempting support for blocks is calling. ;-)

- Jordan