[libdispatch-dev] Race in dispatch_semaphore_wait(DISPATCH_TIME_NOW)

Dmitri Shubin sbn at tbricks.com
Wed May 21 02:14:26 PDT 2014

Hi!

In our application we assume that dispatch_semaphore_wait(sema,
DISPATCH_TIME_NOW) will never block, but recently we found it waiting on OS
semaphore.

Checking source of libdispatch (we used version 215, but the latest
available 339.90.1 seems similar) we found the following scenario that
could lead to blocking.

Thread1:
  dispatch_semaphore_wait(sema, DISPATCH_TIME_NOW);

Thread2:
  dispatch_semaphore_signal(sema);
  dispatch_semaphore_wait(sema, DISPATCH_TIME_FOREVER);

Initial state: dsema_value = 0, internal OS semaphore count = 0

1. Thread 1 enters dispatch_semaphore_wait() and decrements dsema_value ->
-1, it's < 0, so going slow path.

2. Thread 2 signals semaphore, dsema_value incremented from -1 to 0, also
going slow path and signals OS semaphore, incrementing its count from 0 to
1.

3. Thread 1 enters DISPATCH_TIME_NOW case in switch in
dispatch_semaphore_wait_slow(), but since dsema_value == 0 falls through to
DISPATCH_TIME_FOREVER case.

4. Thread 2 enters dispatch_semaphore_wait, decrements dsema_value from 0
to -1, goes slow path, waits on OS semaphore, decrements its count back to
0 and exits dispatch_semaphore_wait()

5. Thread 1 waits forever on OS semaphore.

Interesting that simple test that we wrote to expose that race can easily
show it on Linux (e.g. need 1-5 runs). More runs are needed to see it on
Solaris (~5-10 runs).
But we failed to make it hung on OS X (10.9.3)
Is there some changes that are not included in open source libdispatch?

Please check if our analysis is correct.
Thanks!