[MacPorts-announce] Prebuilt archives available for Mountain Lion

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Dec 6 03:35:14 CET 2012

The MacPorts project is pleased to announce that prebuilt archives for
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion are now available for many ports, and will be
used automatically when installing.

A prebuilt archive cannot always be used, for a number of reasons:
 * Our archives are built only for the default prefix (/opt/local), so
   if MacPorts is installed in a custom prefix, it will not download
   them. This also applies to applications_dir (/Applications/MacPorts)
   and frameworks_dir (${prefix}/Library/Frameworks).
 * We only build archives for the default variants of each port.
 * Many ports do not yet list license information.
 * Some ports have a license that does not allow for distribution of
   binaries, or have a license that conflicts with the license of a
   dependency in a way that prevents such distribution.

- Josh