port upgrade causes problems when port not installed

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Dec 29 15:24:50 PST 2006

On Dec 29, 2006, at 5:56 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:
>> If you aren't using archive mode, and you turn it off (as it's now
>> off by default), the upgrade target will be 'destroot' and things
>> should work like they used to.
>
> Off by default? huh.

yep.

portmgr (and landonf) decided that archivemode isn't very useful
(especially with image mode being the default).

Personally, I switched to direct mode on one machine when there were
hardlink performance issues and haven't switched back (direct mode +
archives leaves most of the advantages of image mode, is conceptually
simpler, and could probably totally replace image mode with a little
work, in my opinion).

--
Daniel J. Luke