libtool problem with MacPorts 1.4

Jochen Küpper jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Sat Apr 7 01:37:58 PDT 2007

On 07.04.2007, at 02:17, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2007, at 06:18, Jochen Küpper wrote:
>
>> I just performed a port selfupdate to 1.4.0 yesterday and now try
>> to install python24 / py-numpy /  matplotlib with it.
>>
>> The first point that raises is the following: It installed the
>> gcc42 port, and I do habe /opt/local/bib/gcc-dp-4.2 and such. How
>> is one suppposed to ensure these are actually used? I have set CC,
>> CXX, and friends accordingly and have /opt/local/bin first in the
>> path, but the ports are still build using gcc-4.0 from Apple.
>
> As far as I know, all ports should continue to use the Apple
> gcc-4.0, unless the port specifically depends on the gcc42 port and
> redefines the CC, CXX, etc variables.

Thanks for clarifying that.

In case I then also define CC, CXX, and friends for my personal
needs, if I want to use them, not?

>> Moreover, I encounter a build-problem for python24 with libtool
>> (the MacPorts one):
>>
>> [...]
>> ranlib libpython2.4.a
>> /opt/local/bin/ginstall -c -d -m 755 Python.framework/Versions/2.4
>> libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -dynamic
>> libpython2.4.a \
>>          -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only i386 -install_name /opt/
>> local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -
>> compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4
>> libtool: unrecognized option `-o'
>> Try `libtool --help' for more information.
>> make: *** [Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python] Error 1
>>

>> If I change to the build directory
>>
>> cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
>> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate
>> _dports_lang_python24/work/Python-2.4.3
>>
>> and run the program by hand using the Apple libtool, everything
>> seems fine:
>>
>> sudo /usr/bin/libtool -o Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python -
>> dynamic libpython2.4.a -lSystem -lSystemStubs -arch_only i386 -
>> install_name /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
>> Versions/2.4/Python -compatibility_version 2.4 -current_version 2.4
>>
>> I can then continue the port install, which works, and python also
>> seems to work nicely so far, I can also continue to install py-numpy.
>>
>> Any comments on what I might be doing wrong? tests I should perform?
>
> So if it works when you manually use /usr/bin/libtool, do you have
> a different libtool somewhere else that's getting picked up first?

Yes, the MacPorts one...

> What does "which libtool" say?

/opt/local/bin/libtool

Greetings,
Jochen
--
Fritz-Haber-Institut der MPG -- Department of Molecular Physics
Faradayweg 4-6 (C1.03)

phone: +49-30-84135686
fax:   +49-30-84135892