[27427] trunk/dports/graphics/gimp2/Portfile

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Fri Aug 3 13:37:30 PDT 2007

Le 07-08-03 à 14:48, Daniel J. Luke a écrit :

> On Aug 3, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> I don't like the syntax +without_foo as it reads "with without
>> foo" for
>> me. Why do we have that +/- syntax if we don't use it?
>
> We don't use it because it's currently broken (ie, the -variants
> that are selected aren't stored, so when you go to upgrade the
> port, it doesn't keep the same variant selection. Meanwhile, the
> +variants are stored, so things 'work' when you do an upgrade).
>
>> But as said, port info should show default variants. And they
>> could be
>> also marked (with a star or something) in port variants.
>
> That seems like a good idea. You want to submit a patch? :)

There is something else.

Right now, gimp2 has

python24
without_gnome
without_python

To follow your (rainer's) logic, gimp2 would then have

python24
python25
gnome

with gnome and python25 both as default.

Is this possible with the current implementation?

Next, let's say I want python24, then I will have to do

port install gimp2 +python24 +gnome

If I don't want gnome I'll have to do

port install gimp2 +python25

The point is that internals and default become less transparant and
more complex for the user.

Many might do "-gnome" and miss python or "python24" and miss
gnome ...  That is the problem with default variants.

yves