portname based distfiles directory

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Aug 8 11:24:41 PDT 2007

	Up until now we've uploaded tarballs and other distfiles to our
distfiles section in svn to user named directories, together with a /
distfiles/general dir for unmaintained ports. It's been discussed
that using port name based directories is more natural and straight
forward for the purpose of the /distfiles directory, so I wanted to
poll you all on making such move. Other than logical organization,
other benefits would be not needing the general dir any longer and
the fetch proc finding the distfiles on the first hit, as seen by the
following example:

-> pwd
trunk/dports/net/libpcap

-> grep master_sites Portfile
#master_sites   ${homepage}release/
master_sites    macports

-> port -df fetch

---snip---

--->  Fetching libpcap
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.fetch (libpcap)
--->  libpcap-0.9.5.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /opt/local/var/
macports/distfiles/libpcap
--->  Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.5.tar.gz from http://
svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/libpcap
   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
Time  Current
                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
Left  Speed
100  423k  100  423k    0     0  26031      0  0:00:16  0:00:16
--:--:-- 22644

	Moving to port name based directories would still allow us to use
user named ones as they currently exist, if need be, thanks to the
"macports:<user>" syntax for our distfiles in the fetch proc.

	So, what says you'all? Regards,...

-jmpp