portname based distfiles directory

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Aug 8 17:06:36 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>     Up until now we've uploaded tarballs and other distfiles to our
> distfiles section in svn to user named directories, together with a
> /distfiles/general dir for unmaintained ports. It's been discussed that
> using port name based directories is more natural and straight forward
> for the purpose of the /distfiles directory, so I wanted to poll you all
> on making such move.

I have two proposals:

1) distfiles/${category}/${name}
   Hierarchy matching the ports tree. Using name only results in a long
   list if we add files for more ports.

2) trunk/dports/${category}/${name}/distfiles
   Although that would mix up sources only and binaries in the same
   tree, if that matters (e.g. on branching/tagging). But with this
   solution all files belonging to a port would be together at one
   place.

Rainer