portname based distfiles directory

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Aug 14 15:23:35 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

>> I'll move the tarballs from directory "afb" over to "MacPorts" then,
>> right ?
>
> 	In theory, yes. You have tarballs for MacPorts itself in your
> distfiles dir, so they "should" be moved to /distfiles/MacPorts
> (properly capitalized, per the port name). And why do I quote...?
> 'Cause we have /downloads/MacPorts-1.5.0/ holding the official
> tarballs & dmg's for the project, so I don't see why we need to
> duplicate them into the distfiles section (true that we could merge
> downloads & distfiles after moving the latter to per port naming, but
> that's another discussion). If for some reason you require tarballs
> for the specific MacPorts versions you now have in /distfiles/afb,
> feel free to create them off our sources (base/Makefile automates this
> in an elegant way, ping me if you need any pointers) and upload them
> to the downloads section.

I only need the distfiles (which were indeed made using distfromsvn,
like the regular releases) on the platforms where "selfupdate" is
broken, and they need an URL for the package managers to fetch them
from (asking users to build their own tarballs from SVN seems like a
bad idea). Having "1.4.42" and "1.5.11" in the main /downloads might
confuse users though, so I'm fine with having them in a machine-only
location (such as /distfiles) as long as it is accessible.

Although I do think that having one offical tarball for each offical
release ain't such a bad idea in general...

--anders