master_sites and opendarwin (was: Re: SDL_Perl installing troubles!)

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Aug 15 10:36:25 PDT 2007

> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12486

	I hadn't actually read this ticket when I replied to this thread,
but now that I did I can say that's another proof that we need to
move to a per port naming basis for our distfiles section. True that
we can always add "macports:<user>" as the master_site, but the
output in the ticket emphasizes once again that MacPorts is going
straight to /distfiles/<portname> in our svn (and failing after
trying three different combinations, each one with portname in them).
I think this make sense from the distribution POV, it's more logical
to look in /distfiles/<project_name> for something related to the
project in question rather than in /distfiles/
<name_of_some_user_who_had_the_idea_of_uploading_this_particular_file_to
_his_privately_named_directory> ;-)

	So maintainers, can we please start the move? Regards,...

-jmpp

PS: All you'll need to fetch from our distfiles is "macports" as your
master_site in our Portfile, whereas if you keep the distfile in a
user named directory you'll have to explicitly direct the fetch proc
there through "macports:<name_of_user>". I believe the former is
simpler.