Added support in MacPorts base to set PATH and MANPATH automatically in Leopard

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sun Dec 2 15:15:26 PST 2007

Hi Ryan,

On Dec 2, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

>>> 	MacPorts already sets its internal path for a few things, so this
>>> suggestion may be easy to implement but might, just might, have
>>> repercussions that we may want to test more thoroughly (not on the
>>> verge of a release, in my opinion ;-)
>>
>> Yes, just to chime in a bit on that point: I'm rather unhappy about
>> all these changes that appear to be going into 1.6.0 after we've
>> already had two release candidates. That's not what release
>> candidate means. Release candidate means that it is a candidate for
>> release, and if no major problems are found, it will be released as
>> is. It does not mean that we will add lots of other code and then
>> release it, especially not with another release candidate. I don't
>> want another MacPorts 1.4.0--no wait, 1.4.1--no wait, 1.4.2--no
>> wait, 1.4.3. That's exactly what release candidates are supposed to
>> prevent.
>
> 	Yes, I agree 100% percent. But please do note that all the changes
> I merged into the release_1_6 branch since rc2, except for 2, have
> had nothing to do with MacPorts functionality. Mostly just with the
> PortIndex2MySQL script (after working with Bill to deploy it on Mac
> OS Forge), which, on the one hand, I've been testing locally
> extensively for a really long time and, on the other hand, is
> something most regular users never even see.
>
> 	Of the two commits that do have to do with MacPorts functionality:
>
> *) one is a corner-case bugfix against the "dp2mp-move" upgrade code
> (paths with spaces embedded in them), which I satisfactorily tested,
> and
> *) the other is the path munging work by James Berry, which I'm
> inclined to remove from the branch.

Note please that my addition was a 100% non-code change, to try to fix
MANPATH which is 100% broken in Leopard, Ryan, a situation that was
not present in Tiger or before. Which isn't to say (as I wrote
earlier) that I'm completely happy with the state of things so far,
but that we do need to fix this problem before a 1.6 release.

James