[31752] distfiles

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 6 00:11:34 PST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 22:34, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I'm just very wary of having distfiles in our repository at all.
>> They take up so phenomenally more more space than any code we
>> would ever write, and they can "never" be removed from the
>> repository, so I think we should all think at least 5 times before
>> adding distfiles to the repository.
>
> We should have another mechanism then for uploading them and
> storing them on the server.

Old distfiles could be removed from the current repository but it
would involve downtime of the Subversion server, and it could involve
all the revisions being renumbered, which would mean everyone would
have to check out new working copies of everything, which would be a
nightmare.

We could store distfiles in a completely separate repository so that
renumbering of revisions wouldn't affect the main repository. But
it's still really the wrong tool for the job. We should just have FTP
space where the distfiles can be put and deleted as needed.