Patchfile naming guidelines (was: Re: [31766] trunk/dports/audio/libao)

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Tue Dec 11 19:54:30 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, Mac OS X cannot assign a file to an
> application based on a filename prefix. It can only do so based on a
> filename extension.
>
>> And for viewing them: How do you highlight diff files?
>
> Currently, TextWrangler uses no syntax highlighting on diff files.
> This is better than the incorrect syntax highlighting that could
> result by trying to highlight based on the rules of the diffed file.
> There is such a thing as a multiline comment, or a multiline string.
> It's possible a diff might include either the opening or closing
> quote or comment mark, but not the other one, which would result in
> chaotic highlighting. I have seen this before.
>
> In the future, I might write my own syntax highlighting rules for
> diff files which could, for example, color lines beginning with a +
> or - in green and red, respectively, similar to what we see in the
> Trac repository browser or the commit mails.

FWIW...

TextMate does highlighting of diff files if the file is named '*.diff'
or if you explicitly select diff as the mode.

It does not attempt to do _syntax_ highlighting _within_ a diff -- so
no C or Perl or whatever syntax highlighting.

   - boyd

Boyd Waters
Scientific Programmer
National Radio Astronomy Observatory