Our dear leech and our Google rank (Was: Re: 1.6.0 MacPorts release on 3rd party sites)

Emmanuel Hainry milosh at macports.org
Thu Dec 20 15:33:10 PST 2007

Citando Juan Manuel Palacios :

> On Dec 19, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>
>>> 	Hello guys! It's time to submit 1.6.0 to third party sites advertising
>>> for us.
>>
>> Don't forget to advertise on darwinports.com :-)
>>
>> --anders
>

> 	I'm sure that'll happen on its own, some kind of spontaneous combustion
> ;-)
>
> 	But regardless of that, I am most pleased to share with all of you that in
> some sort of unofficial "benchmarking" of our web presence (ranking) I've
> found consistently that Google searches for the term "MacPorts" only brings
> up our favorite eech at the third page. First hit is to our home page;
> second hit is to, very appropriately, www.macports.org/install.php; third
> is to (funny enough) our Wikipedia entry (which does not list
> darwinports.com anywhere!); fourth hit is to our online guide and fifth is
> to our Trac Wiki. Sweet!
>

> 	Needless to say, those results deserve a big woot! and a pad on our own
> backs! Merry Christmas ;-)

Good news, however, to shower a bit your enthousiasm, a quite natural
idea, searching name_of_a_port and macports often gives it first or
second result. Example:

google(mpc macports) at the moment gives it first place, second and third to
db.macports.org, fourth place goes to what seems to be an up-to-date
mirror on a Georgia Tech server... The new "Available ports" page that
anybody to see at first place is only 10th (not bad but there is room
for progress).

Emmanuel

PS: what does eech mean? Wikipedia tells me it is an armenian dish!