A 1.4 release

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Feb 13 09:25:23 PST 2007

On Feb 4, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Mark Duling wrote:

> -This is finished, pending review:
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/4905

	Reviewed, corrected a bit here and there and pending commit, which
I'll do ASAP. Awesome work!

> -I can do these pretty quickly:
> document binpath -
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/6880

	I'm on this one at the moment, hope to get it done shortly and commit
it too.

> modify installer README -
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11010

	Could you please handle this one..? You should be able to commit to
base, or send me a patch if you'd like me to handle that last bit.

> -This one I need some help with.  Where is portfile.1?  I do not see
> that.
>  Is that an error?
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/10840

	Seems like an error, he most probably was referring to portfile(7).
I'll include what's there as well.

> -And these I'll look at more closely soon and see if it is man pages
> that
> need updating or just web documentation, perhaps the latter.  I've not
> looked closely at them yet.  Any opinions are welcome.
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/8822

	Totally website documentation... but unfortunately that's mostly a
blackhole at the moment for several reasons:

-) We no longer use cvs;
-) I'm not too sure what's the status on our nightly tarballs, I
seriously doubt that's in place at the moment;
-) And, basically, our web based documentation is in a sorry state that
warrants a full fledged revolution to get it back in order! (don't even
try, simply mentioning the issue warrants an entirely new discussion
thread, so I wont tackle it now)

> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/10877

	As for this one: if a given port does not offer whatever functionality
is required by the user, the standard procedure should be to open a
trac ticket requesting an enhancement with the appropriate variant,
assigned to the port maintainer; reinstalling the port with the variant
once it's checking in should satisfy the demand. That should definitely
be documented somewhere, guide, wiki, both, but it doesn't seem like
man page thing to me.

> -This is the only one that I might have to defer this to after 1.4,
> though
> I may be able to get it.  I want to try writing it in DocBook and
> transforming to a manpage.  If I should do that can the source xml be
> stored also for future revisions?  Or would that be a problem?

	Not at all! In fact, quite on the contrary, we can make room in svn
for just about anything we might need for future reference, certainly
including documentation. Before you start please do take a look at the
trunk/doc svn dir, the old guide xml files are there, they should serve
you to get started. Kudos to you if you plan to revive the guide
effort! I'm thinking a wiki oriented approach is preferable, though, so
maybe you could take what's there and use the contents to start
creating trac Wiki entries...? Just a thought...

> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/5275

	As I said in my comment to this, I don't see much added value to a
portindex(1) man page, users shouldn't see themselves in the need of
indexing manually. And those who do should probably be savvy enough to
figure stuff out on their own. I can't even find the draft I had for
that page ;-) I'll see about closing that ticket.

	So... If you can please draw up a work schedule and let me know what
you're planning on...? I don't think there are those many things left
to include for the 1.4 release.

	Regards!

-jmpp