Undocumented ports.conf options

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Mon Feb 19 21:32:42 PST 2007

Juan,

I am confused. These so-called "options" are undocumented but should
not be used by any user because their semantics could change any
time. For example, xcodeversion only means how to handle xcode
related tools and the most frequent value ("2.1"), as Kevin notes it,
only means 2.1 or higher, but once we encounter an incompatible
version of xcode, we will need to add a new value and update the
semantics. We certainly do not want users to override this setting by
putting whatever they think this would mean, this "option" is set by
MacPorts infrastructure and it's better to keep users away from it.
All that, including portverbose, porttrace, etc. were never intended
to be options users could configure, they are just a way to express
some information through the whole program.

In fact, I do not understand why you found those in your ports.conf
file. Mine is based from MP's ports.conf.in which does not mention
those "options":
http://svn.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/base/doc/
ports.conf.in

That's why I am just confused when I read that you want to document
that in ports.conf.5.

Paul