Default +universal variant for configure-based ports

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Tue Feb 27 11:20:10 PST 2007

I'm still trying to figure out why everybody keeps suggesting to pass
-g. Even if autoconf does it by default (which I don't think it
should), that doesn't mean we should. As Daniel Luke demonstrated in
the "Why -O and -g in universal variants?" thread, debug information
greatly increases the size of the binary.

The other day, Elias Pipping asked me on IRC why his universal build
of gettext was half the size of the non-universal build, when it
should be the other way around. I pointed out that his non-universal
build used -g.

I'm personally in favor of passing either -O or -Os when building
universal. I would also consider setting this as the default value
for CFLAGS to prevent autoconf from using -g by default, but I don't
know if there are any projects out there that would normally add
other switches that this would override, to a detrimental effect.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org
eridius at macports.org