System libraries vs. Macports installed libraries

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Tue Jan 9 04:59:39 PST 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2007, at 18:53, Jann Röder wrote:
>
>> I was wondering whether there is a policy for which library to use
>> if a
>> version of that library comes with MacOS X and there's also a port
>> available. Specifically I'm talking about the openssl port/
>> library. If
>> both approaches work, which library should a port link against ?
>
> Use the MacPorts version unless there's a really good reason not to.
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
> FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

OpenSSL is a bit of an exception, I think.

http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSL
etc etc etc.

The system openssl should probably be used for GPLed programs without
an exception. Anyway, now that I've brought that up, I'd better
disappear :-)

Peter