Massive property update - PLEASE READ

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Thu Jan 25 19:10:45 PST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:04 PM, Mark Duling wrote:

> Kevin Ballard <eridius at macports.org> on Thursday, January 25, 2007
> at 6:54
> PM -0800 wrote:
>> In the future, please try and use the right properties. svn:eol-style
>> native belongs on files which are line-ending-agnostic, like text
>> files,
>> shell scripts, tcl scripts, and other source files. Patchfiles
>> must *NOT*
>> have svn:eol-style set, as line endings are important in them.
>> Additionally, be careful about svn:executable - there were some patch
>> files with that set. Only set it if your file really needs to be
>> executable. There are still a bunch of svn:executable shell
>> scripts, but
>> not all of them need it (most of them, for example, are passed as an
>> argument to bash). I didn't bother removing it from scripts, but I
>> did
>> remove it from the patchfiles.
>
> Please explain how I can follow your recommendations, or documents
> I can
> read to understand this issue.  I am totally unfamiliar with this
> issue
> and so I won't be able to follow these guidelines.

If you create a new Portfile, you should set svn:eol-style to native
on it (`svn propset svn:eol-style native Portfile`).

If you add any patches to the repository, don't set any properties on
them.

If you add files which aren't patches or Portfiles..

   is the file a binary file?
     if yes, set svn:mime-type to application/octet-stream
     if no, do the line endings matter? if they don't, set svn:eol-
style to native

If you don't want to worry about properties, it's not a big deal if
you set none of them, but if possible I'd like the repository to be
consistent about this.

If you want extra reading material about properties, try <http://
svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html>.

HTH,
Kevin Ballard

--
Kevin Ballard