port downloads file when livecheck.check = moddate

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 15 11:26:49 PDT 2007

For ImageMagick I had this livecheck defined:

livecheck.check     moddate
livecheck.url       ftp://ftp.imagemagick.net/pub/${name}/$
{name}.tar.bz2

When the portfile was up to date, "sudo port livecheck ImageMagick"
returned quickly. However, when a new version of ImageMagick was
available, that command took awhile, and I could see from my network
traffic meter that it seemed to be downloading the entire archive
before telling me the port was outdated.

Why is MacPorts downloading the file I specified, when I only wanted
it to check its modification date -- a check which MacPorts is
obviously already doing correctly, else if would be downloading the
archive every time I check. But it's not; it's only downloading it
when its modification date has in fact changed.