Questions about hardcoded rsync_path and svn_path

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Mon Jul 16 07:22:45 PDT 2007

Chris Pickel wrote:
> On 12 Jul, 2007, at 14:56, Simon Ruderich wrote:
>> 1. Why is macports using hardcoded paths for this sort of values. I
>>  tried just using "rsync" and it works.
>
> It's not actually using a hard-coded path. Rather, the path is set
> when you ./configure (or when `port selfupdate` ./configures behind
> the scenes) according to the RSYNC environment variable (if it
> exists).
>
> This is done because, were you to use the rsync port to install a
> faulty binary into /opt/local/bin, you would otherwise lose the
> ability to sync with MacPorts and get a working binary back. Instead,
> ./configure finds a working rsync and makes sure it's always used for
> that installation of MacPorts.

I can see this problem. But maybe there could be added new variables for
this task to "macports.conf". Then someone can change the used binaries
later (to use an updated version for example). If someone messes with
his rsync installation then he just has to remove this variable.
Or macports should also use the $RSYNC variable on runtime.

> If you grab the tarball from the downloads directory, and ./configure
>  with $RSYNC set to the new path, then it should generate those files
>  correctly. I'm not sure how selfupdate plays into this, though,
> since `port` messes with environment variables a bit.
>> 2. Why are there two (configuration) files similar data.
>
> These are generated from the same configure variables, so it's just a
>  matter of convenience. They aren't meant to be edited after
> ./configure.

I still think there should be a configuration file for this. Then nobody
has to mess with it. But the only solution at the moment is to reinstall
macports and I don't think this should be necessary for such a simple
task like renaming a binary.

>> I had some problems with macports hardcoded paths some time ago
>> when I tried to install multiple port installations. I never really
>> fixed this and have to rename my port installations to get it work.

Does anybody has a solution for this? I still have to rename the
directories to get it work.

> Chris

Thanks for your reply,
Simon