[27043] trunk/base/portmgr

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Jul 16 13:29:32 PDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 2:24 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:

> If I understood this better perhaps I could write it up in the new
> guide.
> When did this function become available?  What do we call it?  Remote
> repository?  Is it basically an internal macports repository for the
> enterprise?  Are the comments in mprsyncup and rsync.repos the only
> documentation we have?
>
> Mark

	Hi Mark!

	Thanks for inquiring about this, I was just about to write to you to
request inclusion in the new guide ;-) The base/portmgr/mprsyncup and
base/portmgr/rsync.repos files explain in their comments all that's
needed to replicate our rsync mirrors locally, for instance on a
server that wishes to supply local clients with faster sync/
selfupdate functionality off its own rsync server (not having to
travel all the way to California if you're around the globe). Note
that this is not exactly mirroring, as the example server would be
doing the exact same thing rsync.macports.org is doing when setup
with those two files, but independently of it (therefore "replicating").

	Vlad recently mailed portmgr about the "mirroring" topic, which is
what prompted me to better explain the procedure in the files. The
two thing I forgot to say to him in my reply is, one, that clients
wanting to use the replicating server should be properly configured
to do so:

-) rsync_server in macports.conf & rsync:// url in sources.conf:
reset to point to your local server, not rsync.macports.org
-) rsync_dir in macports.conf & path component in rsync:// url in
sources.conf: these shouldn't need any modifications if you follow
the default and official repositories the MacPorts project offers on
its own rsync server (coded in both base/portmgr/mprsyncup and base/
portmgr/rsync.repos); adapt accordingly otherwise (we assume you know
what you're doing if you go to the trouble of offering other rsync
repositories).

	And two, anyone wanting to replicate our configuration should
consult with portmgr@ on an appropriate periodicity, we don't want to
hammer the svn server too bad (every replicating server would be
pulling from there). We refresh every 30 minutes at each x:00 & x:30,
so we would appreciate it if 3rd parties didn't replicate more often
than that and a bit off those two marks in any case. It would be
great if all this information (including the comments in the two
files in svn) were incorporated into the new guide!

	Lastly and with respect to the new guide's source: could you, Mark,
please split it up in logical xml files (as you asked a while ago and
as the current guide exists in svn) rather than having it in just one
big monolithic file? Seems to me like it's much easier to handle like
that.

	Regards,...

-jmpp

PS: Another topic that's up for inclusion in the new guide are the
new ticketing guidelines that we're currently discussing on -devel at .
I'll try to reply ASAP to the feedback I've received (thanks a
bunch!) and will also setup a new Wiki doc (NewTracTicketing) to hold
a mockup of the final design and consensus (currently smeared among a
few mail posts, hard to track). Once that's done I'd like to see that
text fully expanded into the new guide, please ;-), and
NewTracTicketing removed, while the existing one (TracTicketing)
should be turned into either a URL forward to the guide docs (once
they're setup) or  simply slimmed down with a single "Read all about
it here <url>" line.  Thanks!