SoC: current status (Elias Pipping)

Elias Pipping pipping at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 23 02:09:33 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 07:31:10PM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Elias Pipping wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> here's the status:
>>
>> merge.rb is a tool that's designed to merge an arbitrary amount of
>> single-architecture directory-trees into a single universal tree.
>>
>> So, given the Coreutils scenario we have four directories - ppc, ppc64,
>> i386, and x86_64, each holding a destroot whose architecture matches
>> its name.  Here's where merge.rb comes into play. It's invoked via
>>
>>   merge.rb ppc ppc64 i386 x86_64,
>>
>> you can pass an architecture more than once (doesn't matter) or leave
>> one out (does matter), pass -v or --verbose for verbose output, perform
>> a dryrun, change input and output directories, etc.
>>
>> That's all documented[1].
>>
>> There are also a couple of test cases, among them Coreutils, the others
>> include OpenSSL and LibPNG - again, all documented[1].
>>
>> merge.rb is written in Ruby.
>>
>> That's a good thing because it makes the code easy to read (even if one
>> does not know Ruby at all) and maintain.  The code is concise, flexible
>> and extensible.
>>
>> It's not a bad thing because it does not (need to) use MacPorts internals,
>> it could even be used if MacPorts was completely rewritten and none of
>> its current API remained.
>>
>> I've set up a separate subversion repository[2] for merge.rb, from time
>> to time I also sync it with /users/pipping in the MacPorts repository.
>
> Why keep it in a separate repository?  It's one more place to look for the
> code.

I chose a separate repository (and wiki) for a number of reasons:

 * I do not like working with Trac (contrary to ViewVC and DokuWiki -
   If I had needed a bug tracker I would have set up BugZilla, too)
 * I did not want to spam MacPorts-Changes with my commits to merge.rb
   needlessly.
 * A separate repository makes it very easy, regarding the SoC, to say
   what I wrote - maybe it was easy already, but now it's trivial.

Kind regards,

Elias