PostgreSQL and MySQL

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Jun 16 14:31:18 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2007, at 15:23, N_Ox wrote:

>>> Since server basically just adds the startupitem, I think we should
>>> just make server the default. The startupitem should be harmless
>>> unless explicitly loaded, and surely the couple of extra small files
>>> is relatively no impact.
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>>
>> I agree, that's even better!
>> But we should do the same in mysql5, then =).
>
> Did you mean "but we should do the same in postgresql82"?
>
> The objection might be that both postgresql82-server and mysql5 +server
> currently add a system user/group. Users might not like that this
> happens even when it's not needed.
>
> On the other hand, I have a hunch that someone installing mysql5 or
> postgresql82 with MacPorts is more than likely going to want to run it
> as a server. Also, AFAIK, the requisite mysql user/group is already
> present on Mac OS X since 10.2? certainly since 10.3, which is the
> earliest we support now. I don't know about the postgresql user/group
> though.

I do want the ability to put MySQL/PostgreSQL on an external firewire or
USB drive with a copy of MacPorts, walk over to another system, plug it
in an run it.  So commonly, this means I build the package with the
server option disabled, and have a GUI app start the server.

So having a port that doesn't install usernames and startup items is
nice (for me).

Regards,
Blair