Just say no to +universal

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Sun Mar 4 04:23:41 PST 2007

On 2007-03-03 19:44:32 -0800, Reid Nichol wrote:
[...]
>   Now, as for the messing up the Portfile thing.  Yes, everyone agrees
> that having the universal binary hack in every Portfile is messy and
> undesirable.  Please, stop bringing this up as it really is beating a
> dead horse at this point.  Also, to assume that this is the only option
> for including this functionality is ridiculous.
>
>   So, instead of trashing one bad idea (over and over), how about
> discussing ways that might get this wanted functionality in with
> minimal pain.  A couple ideas have already been thrown out there.  How
> about sticking to discussing those (or other ones)?

Yes, and as this has been said somewhere, this should be done upstream
(perhaps at the autoconf level, with a new option --enable-universal).
Indeed, I don't see why only MacPorts users could be interested in
universal binaries.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>