Always add -L${prefix}/lib, -I${prefix}/include?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 24 21:14:42 PDT 2007

On Mar 24, 2007, at 20:36, Paul Guyot wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2007, at 9:19 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:
>
>> On Mar 25, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> What is this new mechanism you're working on? I would have
>>> thought that MacPorts already somewhere defines what default
>>> environment variables to use, and that the -L and -I options
>>> could simply be added to it, without requiring any major reworking.
>>
>> Well, it doesn't and this is what I'm solving right now.
>> I propose that I'll commit it after a couple of tests, and then
>> we'll discuss:
>> - if we should define default optimization/debug flags globally
>> - the most beautiful way to handle universal variant
>
> Done. Now that this change is committed:
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/23098
>
> we probably can consider adding -L${prefix}/lib and -I${prefix}/
> include and clean up portfiles to avoid redundancy.

Very interesting!

In what version of MacPorts will that be released? I would think that
we cannot clean up portfiles until the code is released to the
general population. Including it with 1.4 would be ideal, since
that's about to be released... but it should clearly be tested first,
perhaps in a 1.4rc3 release, which should then bake for awhile. So
this would delay the final release of 1.4 by a little bit. But I
think it would be well worth it to finally be able to start making
some headway on universal builds without having to duplicate so much
stuff in the portfiles.