email address anti-spam encoding in portfiles

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 15 20:54:46 PDT 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 20:25, James Berry wrote:

> I thought I'd run by everybody the novel concept of anti-spam
> encoding email addresses in portfiles. For all other cases we could
> obfuscate the address, but with Portfiles we're sortof stuck, since
> we need to be able to make these available in raw form in various
> places (svn, mpwa, etc).
>
> What if we adopt the convention in the maintainer field of using
> user/domain instead of user at domain. I have a feeling the spambots
> won't find that, and it's pretty easy to recognize as a user (or to
> reconstitute as  a machine).
>
> So to be completely clear, I propose that we would encode my email
> address (jberry at macports.org) as jberry/macports.org
>
> Feedback?

I'd love to reduce the amount of spam I receive. But obfuscating the
maintainers in the portfile may not be sufficient. I'm also concerned
about the login to the Subversion server, which is also my email
address. This appears in the $Id$ tag at the top of portfiles I've
modified, and there are also several sites tracking the Subversion
commits and making this available on the web, without obfuscation, of
course. For example, the first Google hit for searching for my email
address is currently:

http://cia.vc/stats/author/ryandesign@macports.org