email address anti-spam encoding in portfiles

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Thu May 17 20:21:03 PDT 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On May 17, 2007, at 5:59 PM, James Berry wrote:
>
>> Sure, I agree in principle that we're heading in a direction that
>> makes what you suggest possible. And this proposal does cover part
>> of that: if somebody has a macports.org account, they can just use
>> the user name portion of their email address. But we need to
>> bridge the gap between the now (when we don't have any good way
>> for people to get accounts if they're not committers) and the fact
>> that most of the maintainer email addresses in those files don't
>> belong to committers....and we'd like to find a quick and easy way
>> to mangle them out of sight of some of the spammers.
>
> Fair enough.  Though you've just said something which really
> surprises me - we have maintainers that don't have commit access?
> What's the point of that?

A good and valid question. I'd love to hear feedback on that issue,
particularly as I know there are bug reports sitting in trac that
nobody has time to attend to. But the answer dates firmly back to
before I ever got to darwinports, and probably stretches back into
the reaches of your own mind somewhere... ;) I've worked hard in the
last 8 months or so to give commit access to basically everybody who
has asked for it, but that doesn't begin to account for all the
people who have submitted ports and put their email into the
maintainer key.

(I'll point out too that one of the things I'm trying to get to with
mpwa is to make svn access not a requirement to be able to submit and
maintain ports for macports).

James