1.6 release?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 11:41:16 PST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 15:16, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	It's very pleasing to see the amount of work that has gone into
> base since our last release, but the negative side of that is that
> our current code delta between trunk and the last release branch is
> huge. Therefore I propose we make a 1.6 release with a new release
> branch from scratch, cut off from trunk ToT.

> -) on the other hand, is there anything in particular anyone would
> like to see *NOT* released to the public just yet?

I could think of one controversial change in trunk: the removal of
the "cd" command.

I estimate[1] that we have 339 ports (about 8% of our 4353 ports)
that still use the "cd" command. These ports break without the "cd"
command. If I have some time I'll see if I can fix up some of the
nomaintainer ones; others should do the same if possible. If we find
that we're close to the date when we want to release 1.6 and we still
have many ports using "cd", we should delay removing the "cd" feature.

[1]

cd /path/to/dports
grep "[[:space:]]cd[[:space:]]" */*/Portfile \