[31286] trunk/dports/devel/git-core/files

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Nov 19 21:52:04 PST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 12:22 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> The "svn log" and "svn blame" commands now make it look as though
> those files just came into existence in r31286. But they did not.
> They were merely renamed from other files.
>
> You should have renamed these patches using "svn mv", like this:
>
> cd `port dir git-core`/files
> svn mv patch-Makefile patch-Makefile.diff
> svn mv patch-http.h patch-http.h.diff
> cd ..
> vi Portfile
> svn ci
>
> That would have preserved the history.
>

> But now you've readded the files as completely new files. To undo
> this and reconnect the history, you'll have to do this:
>
> cd `port dir git-core`/files
> svn rm patch-Makefile.diff patch-http.h.diff
> DPORTS=http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports
> svn cp -r31284 $DPORTS/devel/git-core/files/patch-Makefile patch-
> Makefile.diff
> svn cp -r31284 $DPORTS/devel/git-core/files/patch-http.h patch-
> http.h.diff
> svn ci

	Ryan, please, pretty please, I beg you! ;-) I don't want to loose you
over to boredom out of repeating this advice over and over again to
everyone who forgets. Can you please team up with Mark, and possibly
Blair, and write up some sort of a quick subversion FAQ/Tutorial/HOWTO/
Crash-course/whatever where instructions like these can be written on
stone and referred to who ever might need them? It would make a great
addition to the guide and maybe even the Wiki!

	Thoughts?

	Regards,...

-jmpp