MAMP setup with Macports?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 21 14:49:51 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 10:54, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2007, at 10:17 AM, James Berry wrote:
>
>> I don't know where this stands, exactly, but it _would_ be really
>> cool if getting mysql5 to run was only a matter of:
>>
>> 	- sudo port install mysql5 +server
>
> Why not a new port, mysql5-server (which depends on mysql5 and then
> does the appropriate setup?)
>
>> 	- sudo port load mysql5
>>
>> 	(and the the end result of this would be that the server is
>> actually running and usable)
>
> mysql5-server would have the startupitem foo (we would still want/
> need 'port load' to get the server started up).
>
>> Of course at the moment, that doesn't work, because:
>>
>> 	- You have to apply a default my.cnf file
>> 	- You have to do various database setup things
>
> This stuff could be set up in the mysql5-server port

The discussion of whether to have mysql5 +server or mysql5-server is
completely unrelated to the issues of this thread, IMHO, and are
tracked in:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12313

That ticket is for separating mysql5 into mysql5-client and mysql5-
server, and later renaming mysql5-client back to mysql5 to achieve
what you suggest, but I do not yet know how to do this in a way that
is not painful for existing installations. See note in ticket.