MacPorts (and our ports) on Leopard

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 00:15:13 PDT 2007

	Hello to all those who have approached us asking about the state of
MacPorts (and our ports) on the up-coming Leopard platform. On the
"To:" field are only the last ones I can remember off the top of my
head, but please do consider these words extensive to anyone
wondering about MacPorts & Leopard & NDA.

	Following is what should be considered our official stance on the
issue, given the NDA binding those with Leopard seeds and the area of
the system we, MacPorts, most commonly deal with.

	MacPorts itself is Leopard ready, so you shouldn't see any problems
using it (MacPorts itself, things like the port(1) command and
whatever else) on the new platform. That, however, does not
necessarily apply to the software MacPorts distributes, the ports
themselves that is. They either work satisfactorily (should be most
of them, hopefully), compile & fail to work to some extent for
whatever reason, or don't even compile at all to begin with,
depending on the port and its build particularities. Some of us have
been fixing these failures (of either kind) on a case by case basis
(basically the only way it can be done) and committing "platform
darwin 9" code blocks for each "fixed" Portfile to our repo. Since we
mostly deal with the BSD (& UNIX) layer of the OS, which has been
publicly discussed by Apple already in the case of Leopard, it's NDA
safe for us to commit these fixes and make them available to users at
this early stage.

	However, if in doubt, if you fear you might break your NDA with any
particular question/comment/Leopard-specific-fix, please do not
hesitate to contact us (portmgr) privately for some further advice
(macports-mgr at lists.macosforge.org).

	Other than that, feel free to openly submit Leopard specific patches
to our trac tickets db, committers will include them into the tree as
time becomes available to them.

	Thanks for your interest in the future of the project, much
appreciated! Regards,...

-jmpp