zsh and zsh-devel

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Mon Sep 3 06:47:45 PDT 2007

On 2007-09-02 22:40:01 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> N_Ox wrote:
>
>> zsh is now quite old and its maintainship has been dropped.
>> I'm the current maintainer of zsh-devel and I think it does not deserve
>> its -devel nature.
>> Should we delete zsh and rename zsh-devel?
>
> Upstream still lists 4.2.6 (2005-12-05) as the "stable" series and 4.3.4
> (2007-04-19) as the "development" series, so it seems a good idea to keep
> the current naming ?

BTW, I don't really like the names "stable" and "development" since
they don't always mean what they really mean. In particular, one may
think that the development version is more buggy than the stable
version. In the case of zsh, this is currently the opposite.

Also "development" is misleading when at some point, a developement
version becomes a stable version. For instance, what if the successor
of 4.3.4 becomes the stable version 4.4.0, so that 4.3.4 is out-of-date
and 4.5.0 isn't out yet? The user of zsh-devel should expect an upgrade
to 4.4.0 instead of staying with the out-of-date 4.3.4.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>