Problem with the repository: bogus date

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Sep 7 14:29:11 PDT 2007

Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2007, at 09:43, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> Landon Fuller wrote:

>>> Maybe the repository shouldn't allow unrevisioned property changes at
>>> all? It seems like a good way to stomp on version history.
>>
>> It's nice to fix typos in log messages. But it could be limited to
>> svn:log for that purpose with a pre-revprop-change like this:
>
> The log being unversioned, that still seems a dangerous tool to leave
> open. Here at work, unrevisioned properties require local access to the
> repository -- nobody else has this. I only recall one instance in the
> past three years that I've been asked to change a commit log message on
> behalf of any of our developers, and I've never done so for myself.
>
> I'd personally rather have a few uncorrected typos in commit logs than
> the potential for history-changing. Auditing the changes is an
> improvement, but why even open the door?

We do this all the time in the Subversion's own repository.  The standard way of
handling it is to use mailer.py to send a diff of the before and after log
message to some list.  This can be set up in the post-revprop-change script.

It's common to edit log messages.  In fact, the recommended procedure for a
reverse merge of a revision is to now go back and edit the log message on the
reverted revision indicating that it was reverted and in which revision.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.