port search

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sun Sep 23 11:21:11 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> So.... it sounds like people want this feature, so.... it sounds like it
> should be put into base, rather than having each GUI have to reimplement
> it. And if "port search" was too slow, and you came up with something
> faster, why don't we put that in base as well?

PortAuthority's method works by running "port list" on startup, caching
the data, then iterating through that when the user searches for a term.
It's faster than "port search" only because it doesn't have to launch a
new process of tclsh when the user searches for a term. This method make
sense for a GUI because it reduces the number of times it has to call
out to the command-line tool, but it doesn't represent any sort of
improvement in the command-line tool itself. Imagine having port run
"port list" every time it started up...the result would be slower, not
faster.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin