py25-dot needs python24?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 24 12:10:52 PDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Douglas Philips wrote:

> I just wrote:
> On 2008 Apr 24, at 8:11 AM, Douglas Philips wrote:
>
>> Using macports 1.60 on Leopard (10.5.2):
>> py25-dot depends on py-parsing, and py-parsing needs python24.
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be a py25-parsing...
>> I don't mind if the python24 module works with python25, its just
>> annoying to have to install python24 (or rather, the annoying part
>> is the build. :) ).
>
> But of course it doesn't work, because py-parsing is installed
> under python24's site-packages so when python25 does an import of
> pydot, it can't find the parsing module. Sigh.

Right. py-* packages are for Python 2.4. py25-* packages are for
Python 2.5. Python 2.5 packages should not depend on Python 2.4
packages, so this is a bug in py25-dot. Please file a ticket in the
issue tracker and assign or Cc it to the port's maintainer. py25-dot
was just created from py-dot in r34410 so this dependency was
probably overlooked.

http://guide.macports.org/#project

If a py25-parsing does not exist, and that's needed for py25-dot,
then it will need to be created from py-parsing.