macports-dev Digest, Vol 24, Issue 15

Paul Magrath pmagrath at macports.org
Tue Aug 12 10:13:03 PDT 2008

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look! Appreciate it!

I've fixed the "interesting" paths bug now I think and have committed
that fix.

> From: Bryan Blackburn <0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: Beta Release
>
> It also created some other interesting paths:
>
> /Users/blb/.macports/Users/blb/devel/macports/trunk/dports/devel/
> pkgconfig where it appears to have copied pkgconfig's Portfile and
> the work symlink (I'm guessing it would have copied files/ over as
> well, if pkgconfig had one?)

Yep.

> /Users/blb/.macports/Users/blb/devel/mp-priv/var/macports/build/
> _Users_blb_devel_macports_trunk_dports_devel_pkgconfig which is
> where it created the actual work directory for building, so this one
> is the one I most expected to see.

It should be using /Users/blb/.macports/devel/mp-priv/var/macports/
build/_devel_macports_trunk_dports_devel_pkgconfig or something along
those lines. Hopefully should be now.

> Note however that it did successfully build pkgconfig.  However,
> when it reached the install phase it wanted me to authenticate to
> sudo even though I used '--with-no-root-privileges'.

Ah, yes. That is due to the Portfile format now having a new option
called install.asroot which defaults to "yes". This is to be set to
"no" in the portfile if it is okay to install the port without using
root privileges. It is probably too conservative a behaviour really.
configure.asroot, patch.asroot, destroot.asroot and build.asroot
default to "no".

> Finally, when I just hit enter at the sudo password prompt to get it
> to exit, port dumped a long trace (I think you need a catch around
> the 'exec sudo port...'):

Hmmm, yes that does seem like a good idea!

Please check the code out again in a couple of days. I'm going to do
my best to fix every thing people report as quickly as I can.

Thanks again,

Paul.