MacPorts 1.7.0 without GSoC contributions

Caspar Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 04:46:56 PDT 2008

In general I think it is not good to hold back features, they should
rather be there and usable once created.

That said, I can understand Ryan's worry very well. There hasn't been
a release in ages, and if the next release cycle is as long as the
current one, the upcoming release better be good, not buggy.

But the real problem is the frequence of releases. Ideally there
would be a release every 4 to 6 weeks, plus bugfix releases, IMHO.
Using such a policy, new features could be integrated immediately
because the cost of a bug would be rather minimal.

If the current release manager does not have the time to do releases,
why can't a new one be appointed, at least for the time being.
It's no shame to be too involved in a day-job or whatever to run an open source
project in the evening, but it's also not helpful not to deal with
consequences. Ryan has hinted several times that he would
not shy away from this job, apparently he has some time at his
hands to work on the project, and he certainly has the necessary
attention to detail. Shouldn't we ask him? And who has to decide this
ultimately?

Florian