openvpn2: "Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically"

Uwe Schwartz usx303 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 29 01:12:12 PDT 2008

> The only other port that mentions "kext" is macfuse,
> according to rgrep. And that contains a Framework, and
> I would imagine that places the kext into a well-known
> place and takes care of everything. And least it has
> no special means to start it.

Macfuse is a good hint. It seems the Port takes a completely different
approach. So I set eridius at macports.org (the maintainer of macfuse) to CC.

@eridius: What's best practics on handling Kexts?

> > Another problem could be a conflict with an already installed Kext (maybe
> > the legacy TUN/TAP driver or Tunnelblick).
>
> MacPorts does not overwrite files but rather fails before doing so.
> And then you just have to know how you manually configured your
> system.
>
> What is the "legacy TUN/TAP" btw?

With legacy I just mean the prebuild/compiled package from tuntaposx (which
e.g. come with Tunnelblick or maybe some other VPN solution). And with
conflict I mean the error on loading the extension when there is already the
"legacy" Kext loaded. Indeed this is not a big problem but slightly unclean.
The outcome of this is an issue with the dependencies of openvpn2.

At the moment I'm pinched of time and during work hours I'm on a Win
machine, so I can't help a lot.
Maybe you just create a Port Submission and upload your Portfile. I will
test it during the next days.