path: dependency for files NOT in macports

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 03:18:27 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 02:18, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way for me to do something like:
>>>
>>> path:lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc:xorg-libX11
>>>
>>> but have that dependency satisfied by /usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig/
>>> x11.pc ?
>>
>> You can use "${x11prefix}/lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc",
>
> Actually I'm told you currently can't because variables are not
> expanded in depspecs.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17182

Intriguing...
Make that "/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc" then. :-)

>> but it's not guaranteed to work or be portable...
>> i.e. the .pc files don't have to be in "lib",
>> they could also be in a "libdata" or something.
>
> MacPorts pkgconfig only searches three paths:
>
>  * ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig
>  * ${prefix}/share/pkgconfig
>  * ${x11prefix}/lib/pkgconfig
>
> But I think what Jeremy was getting at is that he doesn't know
> which of those three locations the file might be in.

But if one uses an "outside"/System X11, then
it might be located somewhere else completely.

For instance FreeBSD has x11prefix=/usr/local
and the .pc in /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig ?

>> So maybe pkconfig:x11:xorg-libX11 is in order ?
>> (would need "base" to grow a feature, though)
>
> That's what I was thinking (s/pkconfig/pkgconfig/).

It doesn't help much on Tiger (i.e. without xorg)
either, since it doesn't have a x11.pc anywhere.

Sometimes it's possible to hack around that, instead:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/users/afb/Hopper/xfce4-settings

--anders