[43775] trunk/dports/audio/mpg123/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 24 21:33:39 PST 2008

On Dec 24, 2008, at 19:40, Neil wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 03:40:17PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt said:
>>> We have 60 occurrences of something like "platform powerpc" in
>>> the ports
>>> tree and only 8 occurrences of something like "platform
>>> ppc"...... Do both
>>> work? The Guide only shows "powerpc".
>>
>> port [1] and portmain [2] both convert "Power Macintosh" to
>> powerpc, for
>> os_arch.  Seems like powerpc is the one and those using ppc should be
>> changed.  If there's some places where it will report ppc instead,
>> shouldn't
>> we change that to powerpc as well?
>>
>> Bryan
>>
>> [1] - <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/port/
>> port.tcl#L1723>
>> [2] - <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/src/port1.0/
>> portmain.tcl#L86>
>>

>>> http://guide.macports.org/#reference.variants.platform
>
> I suspect you'll find 'ppc' to be more intuitive to users, however.

Not to those users used to MacPorts, which has used "powerpc" since
forever.

Then again, "ppc" is the arch needed to compile, and is what we use
in universal_archs. We could change MacPorts base to use that for the
platform variant as well, and then change all ports. But if that's
what we're trying to do, we should first discuss it here and reach
consensus that the effort is worth it.