Variants handling: my $0.02.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 09:32:31 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 11:13, Rainer Müller wrote:

> So how would I tell that a +variant is default? E.g. the lynx port
> provides support for OpenSSL (+ssl) and GNU TLS (+gnutls). They are
> conflicting variants, with +ssl in default_variants. But the user
> has the choice to install it with GNU TLS by using -ssl +gnutls.

Having to specify "-ssl +gnutls" is stupid. The way I see it, "ssl"
and "gnutls" are two radio buttons. To select the radio button you
want, you shouldn't also have to manually deselect the radio button
you don't want. It should be automatic. Fixed the lynx port so it
behaves this way, in r33752. (No new portfile syntax needed. :))