Meaning of "Not a directory"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 8 12:54:56 PDT 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 09:30, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:

> I am experimenting with a local version of graphviz.
> During the activation phase, I get the error:
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Not a directory
>
> Does anyone know the meaning of this error?
>
> The previous message is
> DEBUG: Adding link to file_map: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gv.py for:
> graphviz
>
> The file gv.py is the problem.
> I have arranged it so that gv.py is the only python file to be
> installed.
> When I prevent  it from being installed, there is no problem
> Strangely enough, the file gv.py does in fact get installed (and then
> the activation phase dies).
>
> The directory  /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
> Versions/
> 2.5/lib/python2.5 is not a directory.
> It is a link to /opt/local/lib/python2.5.

I am the maintainer of the graphviz port but I do not use the
language bindings or Python in general so if something isn't working
right I'll need your help.

How are you installing graphviz? With the +python variant? I see that
this variant is coded to use the python24 port.

What do you mean "a local version of graphviz"? Do you mean outside
of MacPorts? If so, is there something broken in the graphviz port
that I need to fix?