Meaning of

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:35:30 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>>> Marcus: did the same problem with Graphviz appear if you compile it
>>> with Python 2.4?
>>
>> Yes, the error is reproducible with using the variant "graphviz
>> +python,"
>> which uses Python 2.4.
>
> I did experience the problem too trying to update graphviz to use
> python25 and php5 instead of python24 and php4. It makes no sense to
> keep graphviz depending on python24 and php4 because it also depends
> on swig which itself now depends on python25 and php5.
>
> I do not know what is going on with the "Not a directory" error. I
> need someone who knows something about Python to look into it.

It also needs someone with good knowledge of MacPorts which you may have.

The error does not happen in Python code (though it may be triggered
by something from earlier on in the compilation process) unless there
is Python code being executed during port activation. Marcus wrote
that the error also appears for him if compiling with Python 2.4 which
means the problem is not specific to Python 2.5 either.

Let's assume for a moment that "Not a directory" errors from different
ports (with Python bindings generated by SWIG) are caused by the same
problem. If so, we can use a fragment of a detailed error log from
http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-July/010888.html
(below). I can not say more w/o detailed knowledge of port activation
process, but it looks like the error happens at the very end when
files are being added to the file_map.

Perhaps the problem is related to the directory layout of how Python
(python24, python25) is installed by MacPorts?

Uldis

----
DEBUG: activating file: /opt/local/share/sip/PyQt4/phonon/videoplayer.sip
DEBUG: activating file: /opt/local/share/sip/PyQt4/phonon/videowidget.sip
DEBUG: activating file: /opt/local/share/sip/PyQt4/phonon/volumeslider.sip
DEBUG: Adding file to file_map:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/pylupdate4
for: py25-pyqt4
DEBUG: Adding file to file_map:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/pyrcc4
for: py25-pyqt4
DEBUG: Adding file to file_map:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/pyuic4
for: py25-pyqt4
DEBUG: Adding file to file_map:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PyQt4/__init__.py
for: py25-pyqt4
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Not a directory
Warning: the following items did not execute (for py25-pyqt4):
org.macports.activate
----