Conflict with /Applications/MacPorts when multiple MacPorts instances installed

Randall Wood randall.h.wood at alexandriasoftware.com
Wed Jul 30 16:38:22 PDT 2008

/Applications is a magic location in Mac OS X. Unless your app is in
/Applications, ~/Applications, or /Network/*/Applications (I'm not
sure how the /Network domain works), certain standard Cocoa features
(like placing items in the Services menu) will be turned off in the
app. Since MacPorts sticks its apps in /Applications/MacPorts, its
apps get the standard features (Fink apps don't).