chunked guide - macports.org/docs/

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Thu Jul 31 13:30:37 PDT 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:46 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:23, markd at macports.org wrote:
>
>>> My idea was for /docs/ to be static HTML/PHP  in the repo which
>>> renders to something like:
>>>

>>> Documentation:
>>> 	* Installation
>

>>> So this /docs/ page would replace several left navigation links on
>>> macports.org. The existing Documentation link would point to /docs/
>>> and the above list.
>>
>> I like this idea.  One benefit would be that it would allow us to
>> unify
>> the install information (guide & website are different), which
>> needs to be
>> done anyway.
>

> I would recommend that before we create a documentation index page,
> we consolidate our documentation and not have three or four distinct
> URLs describing the same basic things. A lot of the Guide was taken
> from Wiki pages, so the Wiki pages that the Guide obsoletes should
> be cleared of their contents and replaced with a link to the
> appropriate Guide section (after ensuring that all content from the
> Wiki pages has made it into the corresponding Guide sections).

I added <http://macports.org/docs.php> which just lists all of the
URLs Ryan listed. That page isnt linked to from anywhere, so for now
we can use it to track all of the docs we have as we try to shorten
the list.

> So www.macports.org/docs would list the available documentation. And
> the Guide would be where? Still at guide.macports.org? Or would it
> move to www.macports.org/guide? or www.macports.org/docs/guide? An
> advantage I think of keeping the Guide on its own hostname is that
> you can limit a Google search to just that hostname, so you get just
> Guide results. If we move the Guide to www.macports.org/whatever,
> can we still make a Google search that just searches the Guide?

In keeping with current convention, its "/docs.php".  We can keep
guide.macports.org, but use "/single" and "/chunked"? I can add a
redirect so it defaults to one or the other when visiting just http://guide.macports.org/
. I guess the consensus so far is to default to chunked?

> The wiki would stay at trac.macports.org/wiki? Or would you want it
> to move to www.macports.org/wiki? or www.macports.org/docs/wiki? I'm
> not sure if we can or should move the wiki URL independent of the
> rest of the Trac URLs.

Its possible to serve out the Trac wiki from www.macports.org, but
probably not worth the effort. I think trac.macports.org should stay.
Other projects do this, but usually have a generic name like
"code.macports.org" so its not branded with the app you happen to be
using. What would be nice is if the two sites shared styles so they
look similar, I just dont have a lot of time right now to do that.
Maybe after Trac 0.11 since I have to redo all the templates anyway.

-Bill