Jaguar support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 13 02:14:40 PDT 2008

On Jun 13, 2008, at 03:31, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Also, using an earlier DarwinPorts won't work,
>> since ports are being updated all the time to include keywords that
>> only the current MacPorts understands (use_parallel_build,
>> universal_variant, etc.).
>
> Using an old base version implies using old ports tree as well,
> such as from the bundled archive tarball or from SVN history...

Mm, yes, that should work.

>> Given all this, shouldn't we remove the
>> remaining Jaguar-specific code from those 99 ports and declare that
>> MacPorts not only isn't supported on Jaguar and earlier, but that it
>> in fact will not work?
>
> Yes, Panther was supposed to be the lowest version supported ?
> So everything Jaguar and earlier can be dropped from the ports.

There is a difference between "unsupported" and "doesn't work" which
I'm trying to make clear here. We've said for a long time that older
Mac OS X is not supported, but we've also said that we will accept
patches to make portfiles work on older Mac OS X, and that we
shouldn't deliberately break older Mac OS X in our ports. I'm
suggesting that, since MacPorts itself doesn't work on older Mac OS X
now, we should not only declare it unsupported but actually declare
that it does not work, and that we should actively break Jaguar
support in those ports that still have it. This is contrary to our
previous policy which is why I ask.