Python framework location and Python 3.0 conflict with 2.4

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Mar 3 10:59:07 PST 2008

Hi,

This is to follow up on this commit:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/34702

We've discussed this briefly before on the list, but I'm of the mind that all
new Python frameworks must be installed in a separate directory from the Python
2.4 framework for several reasons:

1) There's a conflict on the
${prefix}/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions file.

2) I have a requirement that we have multiple framework Pythons installed at the
same time.  With a deployment to a hundred Mac's or so running PyQt apps running
on 2.4, I need to maintain that environment.

It would be nice to have Python 3.0 with a framework build installed along side
2.4 so we can port our applications to Python 3.0 (which is source incompatible
with 2.x).

So I don't care really where the Python 3.0 framework gets installed, but its
base must not be ${prefix}/Library/Frameworks.  A directory such as
${prefix}/Library/Frameworks/${name} would work for me.

Regards,
Blair