[35353] tinyca2 Lint Report

Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 13:36:07 PDT 2008

>  > > I'm guessing by the few emails I've seen taking issue with the style
>  > > emails that most people don't mind and that that the people that
>  > > wrote the tool felt that style does matter.
>  > >
>  > > I'm in that camp.  I like seeing all the ports having the same style.
>  >
>  > OK. If that's the prevailing opinion I'll just /dev/null the lint
>  > warnings, hopefully not miss anything truly important, and get on with
>  > work.
>  >

>         Is it?  I don't like the 'port lint' stuff that complains about
>  whitespace - its invisible to humans and to port (so far as I know), why
>  do we bother people about it?  I also don't like having patchfiles ending
>  in '.diff', used to be they matched FreeBSD's style (IIRC, and that was
>  a purposeful decision).  If somebody has a hair about their editor "properly"
>  displaying patches, why not teach the editor to match on 'patch-' for
>  highlighting/<whatevering>?

The pedantery of port lint is particularly embarassing for
occasional maintainers like me who don't have commit bit.
The thing is I can't really ask the list to "please delete the space at the
and of line 14", as lint suggests and expect that people still take
me serious. Effectively, I can't really do anything about this
stream of little nagging notes, and that's not good.

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling
florian.ebeling at gmail.com